I'm designing a new, NPC race for my campaign. The idea is that these creatures are descended (in some fashion) from dragons, and are currently the most powerful society in the world. They live on flying islands above everyone else and basically seek to control everything for their own profit and amusement. Dragons are also seen as the source of arcane magic in the world (as in they invented it--I've tweaked the idea of dragons quite a bit), and so these creatures are the holders of very powerful magic.
I'm curious about what people think it's ECL should be (so what should I make the LA?), as well as what the CR of encountering one of these would be. Also, do most of the abilities seem of about equal level (or does one thing stand out as more/less powerful)? Since they are intended to take class levels, do you think I should give them an over-all lowering of power (so that most of their strength come from class levels)? Any ideas of other special things they should have?Draconian
(I'm willing to change the name if someone has a better suggestion)
* Type: Dragon
* +2 Dexterity, +6 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +4 Charisma
* Medium size.
* A draconian's base land speed is 30'. A draconian can also use its wings to fly at a speed of 30' (average manueverability)
* Darkvision out to 60' and low-light vision
* Immunity to magical sleep and paralysis
* Racial Hit Dice: A draconian begins with 5 levels of dragon, which provides 5d12 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +5, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +4, Ref +4, and Will +4.
* Racial Skills: A draconian's dragon levels give it skill points equal to 8 x (6 + Int modifier). It's class skills are: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
* Racial Feats: A draconian's dragon levels give it 2 feats.
* +4 natural armor bonus
* Natural weapons: Bite (1d6) and two claws (1d4)
* Spell-like abilities: detect magic
* Spells: A draconian casts spells as a 5th level wizard [Note: in my campaign "wizards" basically are sorcerers, except intelligence based]
. If the character takes additional levels of wizard these levels stack with the draconian’s base spellcasting ability for spells per day and other effects dependent on caster level. A draconian character likewise uses the sum of its racial spellcasting levels and class levels to determine the abilities of its familiar.
* Magical affinity: Draconians begin play with an extra 10 spell points, and gain an extra 2 spell points per level. [Note: I'm using a translation of the psionic point-based system instead of normal magic].
* Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic. Bonus Languages: Any.
* Favored Class: Wizard.
* Level adjustment: ???
* CR: ???
Thanks for your help :)