?

Log in

No account? Create an account
D&D 3E
help... 
12th-Aug-2004 06:48 pm
AACCCCKKK! i need to figure out a way to change characters mid-game.

i was playing a fighter, and now we're in the middle of a siege. surprisingly, the fighter wasn't working for the game; so, with the approval of the DM, i wrote up a groovy sorcerer.

now the big question is: how do i, believably, bring in the new character?

she is part of a merchant family, so she has reason to travel.
the building has already been evacuated, so she couldn't have already been in the fortress, according to the DM.
i know there's a river right nearby, but she couldn't have been just passing by at the time, also according to the DM.

does anyone have a suggestion as to my dilemma? oi!

also posted in: D&D women and dungeonmasters
Comments 
12th-Aug-2004 04:55 pm (UTC)
Sorceress got jacked upriver and floated down
12th-Aug-2004 05:06 pm (UTC)
or she maybe she was dressed up as a man in order to stay and fight and gets found out
12th-Aug-2004 06:19 pm (UTC)
A hidden compartment in the castle revealed her and woke her up from stasis.
12th-Aug-2004 06:42 pm (UTC)
What level?
12th-Aug-2004 07:25 pm (UTC)
23rd level gestalt character; sorcerer/monk
12th-Aug-2004 07:29 pm (UTC)
Could you have a relative or friend inside? If so perhaps you've teleported(or dimension doored etc) in to help protect them.
...or at that level maybe you can just wipe out the besieging army for them:)
12th-Aug-2004 07:46 pm (UTC)
actually, the army that my DM has set up, he calls "the skeleton legion". there are about 10,000 of them compared to the 5 epic characters and they have some hefty magic items. we were able to put a chunk out of them, but not enough, sadly. so, we are retreating to better ground.
12th-Aug-2004 08:00 pm (UTC)
I figured it wasn't an option :>
Hmmm if you're retreating couldn't they come across your new character whilst on the retreat?
13th-Aug-2004 01:36 am (UTC)
> 23rd level gestalt character; sorcerer/monk

Gah! At that sort of level the clouds could part, a ray of sunshine could hit the ground, an angelic choir could sing the praises of the gift from the Gods of Good!

You could play your sorcerer/monk as being rather annoyed that some "so-called" good god teleported her from location A to fight this annoying siege!
13th-Aug-2004 03:46 am (UTC)
At that level, you are like Gandalf, and can do as Gandalf does... just show up and be recognized as a kindred spirit (the hardest part of joining a party is having the other PC's recognize you as being player-controlled without an RP atrocity). The harder part is how to realistically dispose of the Fighter: why would an epic hero call it a day at that point?
13th-Aug-2004 12:25 pm (UTC)
actually, she's the general of a "roman emperor"-like substance. he is summoning her to come back and work for him. since he allegiance is to him above all others, she has to go.
12th-Aug-2004 09:05 pm (UTC)
You could always happen on the siege as an envoy of your merchant family sent to secure a trade agreement with whomever used to occupy the fortress. When she saw the "army of darkness" she decided to help out.
12th-Aug-2004 09:45 pm (UTC)
Could your sorc/monk be related or friends with any of the people under siege? Scry/[teleport, fly, etc] would work well as a way to get your character into the thick of things ("Hmm...I wonder how my good friend Hinkley is doing?" *scry* "WTF?" *ZING!* - off to the action)
13th-Aug-2004 06:04 am (UTC)
My answer posted in a crossposted thread...
13th-Aug-2004 09:56 am (UTC)
whoa, epic gestalts?! rock! well, since monks at and over 20th are lawful outsiders, technically you could just say you felt the chaos and felt the need to show up. or that some god, as wyrdo said, could just toss you down as a little deus ex machina. or, if you want some magical dm bs, you could have been in there polymorphed into a small plant to contemplate the mysteries of stillness and perfection. yeah, this is all being pulled out the ass.
13th-Aug-2004 06:40 pm (UTC)
okay everybody, i finally made a choice on how to solve the dilemma.
thanks to everyone who contributed their ideas, you all rock!
if you're interested in seeing what i finally descided on, go over to my LJ account, i wrote it up there.
This page was loaded Sep 24th 2017, 12:03 pm GMT.