?

Log in

No account? Create an account
D&D 3E
Do magic items resize? 
25th-Sep-2005 12:29 pm
bitch
Forgive me for this is probably a question I could find answers for in the DMG, but I keep looking through it and the PHB and I'm just not locating it.

Do armor and weapons resize when picked up for the new wearer/wielder?

The DMG says that size shouldn't be an issue, but then it says, "armor and weapons that are found at random have a 30% chance of being small (01-30), a 60% chance of being medium (61-90) and a 10% chance of being any size of the DM's choice (91-100)." I never use random magic items, so this has never been an issue posed before--when my group finds magic items, they've just fit to whatever opponent they took it off of (I have a lot of humanoid encounters). Now, though, I have them going up against fire giants, and I just want to know if the dwarf can wield the fire giant's warhammer. :-p

I know there's rules for wielding a weapon that is not attuned to your size category, but then, since this warhammer is a flaming burst weapon, will it resize itself to fit the dwarf?

I can just smell this being an issue that comes up at my game today. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!
Comments 
25th-Sep-2005 07:52 pm (UTC)
depends on the item. Weapons, no. Armor/shields, not usually. Everything else, yes.
25th-Sep-2005 07:54 pm (UTC)
The SRD says that ' When an article of magic clothing or jewelry is discovered, most of the time size shouldn’t be an issue.'. So for those type of item's I'd say size doesn't matter. That does tend to imply though, that for other things it does matter. I'd day if the Giant is using a huge warhammer (one handed warhammer for someone of Huge size), then the dwarf is probably out of luck without a feat. If the Giant's only large, then a one handed weapon for it becomes a two handed weapon for the dwarf.
25th-Sep-2005 08:32 pm (UTC)
My wizard intentiionally make items that do not resize and are fitted perfectly for his frams. ;)
25th-Sep-2005 08:32 pm (UTC)
Um. Frame.
25th-Sep-2005 09:40 pm (UTC)
I would imagine that most magic items are made for a specific individual (not neccessarily the crafter himself), so they wouldn't need to resize. For an item inteded to be used by any priest of a given church (for example), resizing would be useful, but otherwise, it would be an additional function that would be wasted.
25th-Sep-2005 11:38 pm (UTC)
I imagine armors would resize up to an extent, i.e. some heavy armors need to be specifically fitted for the wearer, as I understand, and magic armor could easily change to fit the wearer, but shifting size categories might be right out. A magical coat or cloak might shift its size for an elf since it's former owner might have been a tall human and it would otherwise drag the ground, but I dunno about changing size categories. It seems to me that an item changing size should be a subtle thing and an axe just doubling in size might be a little much. Lord of the Rings comes to mind, as the One Ring fit any any finger or anyone's hand pretty easily, man or hobbit. Items should be able to change size, I think, but within reason, and within limits.

On the other "hand", I'd like to see how Warforged and Thri-Kreen are supposed to wear magic gloves.
26th-Sep-2005 03:32 am (UTC)
I dont think that anything resizes itself unless that IS its magical property. The mystic guantlets of fitting would resize. If the item that was enchanted was designed to give its wearer some sort of benefit.

No wizard enchants an item with the anticipation that it would eventually be passed on to someone else, and he had the insight to add a resizing enchantment out of the courtousy of the hapless soul that might come upon the item.

Its made for one person, and its made to be something for that person. If someone else is the same size, then yay. If not, they cant use it.

Its just like a device that only works for mages, it doesnt change its qualities because a warrior picks it up.
26th-Sep-2005 06:06 am (UTC)
There is a special weapon property in Complete Adventurer for resizing weaponry.
26th-Sep-2005 12:59 pm (UTC)
Resizing. Bah! That's nothing!

There's a two-headed dwarf in my campaign who, at 13th level, is looking to have some armor commissioned to replace his normal leather armor with something magical, because even though armor resizes itself in my campaign, it doesn't grow new neckholes...
26th-Sep-2005 06:15 pm (UTC)
I kinda go the easy way out. I give em armor or weapons and if they fit BAM they fit for the character size and race but not others. AKA You find Full Plate. Once you decide the human will wear it, it's a human sized piece of armor and no halfling or dwarf or 1/2 orc or any other unusual sized race can wear it unless theya re somehow the same dimensions. This cuts down on if it fits and such and makes them think hard who needs it and not swapping them out to one another (I had a low magic game and they came up across some heavily magic leather (I rolled many high numbers) so they kept trading out their armor like it was a peice of jewelery. Now mind you I had a 1/2 giant, 2 humans, and a 1/2 ling in the group and the rule at the time was it reshaped itself. It was quite annoying them using the +10 climb check and then dropping it down to the next user.)
This page was loaded Dec 13th 2017, 1:33 am GMT.